The 3 Most Important Things To Do After An Injury On The Job


By Raleigh + Durham Personal Injury Attorneys at Hyland, Padilla & Fowler, PLLC

None of us like to think that we might be injured at work, but more than 71,000 people are injured on the job in North Carolina every year.[1] If you’re hurt at work, it can be scary and overwhelming to figure out what you should do and what happens next. Before panic sets in, be aware that your injury may likely be covered by workers’ compensation insurance. All Raleigh-Durham employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance if they have three or more full-time employees, any employees working with or in the presence of radiation, or, in agriculture, if an employer has ten or more non-seasonal full-time employees. In this article, we discuss the three most important things you should do after an injury on the job to ensure that your injuries are compensated, and your medical treatment is covered.

Obtain Medical Treatment

If you have an illness or injury that will be covered by workers’ compensation insurance, it’s important to seek medical treatment as soon as possible to ensure that you receive the correct treatment, especially in an emergency. Seeking fast medical treatment can also help ensure that you receive the compensation and benefits to which you are entitled by documenting your injuries.

Notify Your Employer

Once you notify your employer of your injury, your employer has certain responsibilities under North Carolina law. First, they must report your injury to their workers’ compensation insurance immediately if you need or seek medical treatment. Next, your employer must file Form 19, “Employer’s Report of Employee’s Injury to the Industrial Commission,” within five days of learning of the injury if you miss more than one day of work or incur more than $2,000 in medical expenses. Finally, your employer must provide you with a copy of Form 19 as well as a blank copy of Form 18, “Notice of Accident to Employer and Claim of Employee,” which you must fill out following your injury.

Complete A Claim

Before you fill out your claim or Form 18, “Notice of Accident to Employer and Claim of Employee,” it is a good idea to consult an experienced Raleigh workers’ compensation attorney to ensure that your claim is filed promptly and correctly. A workers’ compensation attorney can apprise you of your options, let you know what types of compensation may be available, and help ensure that you have all of the necessary documentation of your injury.

If you are injured on the job, call an experienced Raleigh-Durham workers’ compensation attorney about your options for treatment and compensation. A skilled Raleigh workers’ compensation attorney can help you figure out the next steps to take after your injury.




Related Posts
  • Can I Choose My Own Doctor for Treatment Under Workers' Compensation? Read More
  • Preventing Repetitive Strain Injuries in the Workplace: Ergonomics and Best Practices for Employers Read More
  • How to Document & Report a Machinery Accident for a Successful Workers' Compensation Claim Read More